THE INSTITUTE FOR LAW AND PEACE was incorporated as a private limited Company on 1.8.90 and subsequently registered as a charity. The constitution is a long and detailed document and much of it is not relevant to a small organisation. Members have asked for the most useful extracts and these are reproduced here. The full constitution is available from the company secretary.
POWER S (extract from Memorandum of Association) In furtherance of the said objects, but not further or otherwise, the Company shall have power:
HOW THE INSTITUTE WORKS (extracts from the Articles of Association)
5. An application for membership may be approved or rejected by the Committee. The Committee shall have the right for good and sufficient reason to terminate the membership of any member: Provided that the member concerned shall have a right to be heard before a final decision is made.
7. The Company shall each year hold an ... Annual General Meeting (AGM)... and not more than fifteen months shall elapse between the date of one AGM ... and that of the next.
8. The Committee may, whenever they think fit, convene an Extraordinary General Meeting ... ,
11. The business to be transacted at an AGM shall include the consideration of the accounts, balance sheets, and the reports of the Committee and auditors, the election of members of the Committee in the place of those retiring ...,
12. ... three members present in person or one-tenth of the membership, whichever is the greater, shall be a quorum.
16. At any General Meeting a consensus should always be sought, but if this is not obtainable, a resolution ... shall be decided on a show of hands...
19. ... a resolution in writing signed by all the members entitled to receive notice of ... General Meetings ... shall be as valid and effective as if it had been passed at a General Meeting ...
21. No member shall be entitled to vote at any General Meeting unless all moneys presently payable by him to the Company have been paid.
23. ... The committee shall consist of the three officers and at least two further members to be elected at the Annual General Meeting
26. The business of the Company shall be managed by the Committee who ... may exercise all such powers of the Company as are not required to be exercised by the Company in General Meeting.
28. The Committee shall cause Minutes to be made
(a) of all appointments of officers ...
(c) of all resolutions and proceedings at meetings ...
33. A member of the Committee must be a member of the Company. At an AGM elections shall first take place for three officers - Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
42. The Committee may delegate any of its powers to sub-committees ...
50. The Committee shall cause accounting records to be kept ...
52. The accounts shall be open to inspection to members of the Company at reasonable times ...